– heat the oven to 450 and put the roasting pan in the oven for about 10 minutes
– cut off excess fat from the chicken, rinse and pat dry
– mix a cup of thinly sliced basil, 5 tbsp of butter, finely chopped shallots and 2 cloves of garlic with the zest of 1 lemon.
– from the chicken opening carefully separate the skin from the beast and thigh and insert the mixture, a tablespoon at a time, under the skin with your hands, smoothing it down from the outside.
– once that’s complete, season the entire chicken with coarse salt.
– toss quartered potatoes in olive oil and salt, remove the hot roasting pan from the oven and place potatoes in a single layer in the pan, pushing them to the sides to make space for the chicken.
– place the chicken breast up and roast for 20 minutes
– turn over and roast for another 20 minutes
– turn over again, squeeze lemon all over the chicken and leave the lemons in the pan. Sprinkle parsley over the potato and toss the parsley and potatoes in the juices
– roast for another 20 to 30 minutes
– let chicken sit for 15 minutes, and pour pan juices over
This is a recipe from A Bird In The Oven And Then Some” by Mindy Fox